Application for Mentors
Do you have experience writing successful social science grant proposals or mentoring faculty in writing competitive social science grant proposals? The California Alliance for Hispanic Serving Social Science Advancement (CAHSSA) is recruiting 10 mentors to lead writing groups over a 6-month time period from October 2022 through April 2023, excluding the month of December.
You will receive a $2,000 honorarium for facilitating at least 6 group meetings over the 6 program months and providing iterative feedback on 6-8 proposals.
The CAHSSA Mentored Writing Groups will lead social science faculty from the CSU and UC systems through the process of conceptualizing, writing, and submitting a grant proposal for submission to the National Science Foundation or other federal or private funder. Groups will be organized by discipline, topic area, and/or target grant program.
Writing groups will meet virtually at least once a month from October 2022 to April 2023, excluding December (but you will have flexibility to organize more meetings). You will provide writers with:
- tips on communicating with agency program directors,
- instruction in strategically writing a competitive proposal,
- assistance with composing a budget and budget justification,
- facilitation of peer review and feedback, and
- advice in working with your campus grants office to submit the final proposal package.
- Optional: mentors may also assist groups in scheduling additional “Write on Site” sessions to facilitate writing accountability.
Deadline: Applications are closed.
Notification: Applicants will be notified of their application status by September 1, 2022.
Faculty members with experience submitting successful social science grant proposals and research development professionals who have experience assisting faculty in writing competitive social science grant proposals. You should expect to dedicate an average of 4-6 hours per month over 6 months attending synchronous virtual meetings with your group, reviewing grant proposal drafts, and giving constructive feedback to the writers in your group.
CAHSSA is a collaboration among the campuses of the California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC). CAHSSA works to align social science research initiatives with the Hispanic-serving mission of the majority of institutions of higher education in California. For more information, please visit our website: https://cahssa.ucsb.edu. We have recorded a series of proposal writing webinars that you can access here: https://cahssa.ucsb.edu/webcast-resources/.
Application Submission Process
Applications are closed.
The application form will ask for your:
- Contact information
- Institutional and disciplinary affiliations
- Detailed experience with writing and/or assisting with social science grant proposals
- Brief explanation for why you would like to be a CAHSSA writing group mentor
Questions about the CAHSSA Mentored Writing Groups can be directed to: email@example.com.
Writing Group Code of Conduct
- Schedule, facilitate, and attend all required group meetings.
- The content and quality of the draft proposals will be kept confidential.
- Don’t plagiarize or borrow ideas from others in your group.
- All feedback and interactions should be collegial, sincere, constructive, and intended to strengthen each other’s writing.
Join the CAHSSA mailing list to receive notices about upcoming events and opportunities.